Tips for saving money.

Home Forum Career Tips for saving money.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Kaitlyn F
    Author

I keep a piggy bank that I either fill up to the top or empty out every month. It isnt usually a lot of extra cash, but it’s something. I also tend to cook more than eat out which helps. What do you do to save money.

September 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM #11552

Cheyenne
    Author

I definitely try to avoid eating out, but sometimes it’s really difficult! When I go out I try to leave my wallet at home, so that even if I’m tempted to stop for dinner on the way home from class or to get a snack I can’t. This is usually really helpful when I go out on weekends, since it’s very easy and fun to get food with your friends at 1 AM after a long night of partying.

September 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM #11662

Sarah Anolik
    Author

I try to avoid eating out because it can get really expensive, but that’s sometimes hard when I’m always out and about and don’t have time to cook myself a full meal. I find that grocery shopping every couple of weeks and eating out only a couple times is a definite way to save money. Also, I tend to spend a lot more money now that I’m 21. Since I’m going out to bars I spend A LOT of money on cabs and drinks. My tip for saving money when going out at night is to bring a set amount of money with you, like $20, so you can’t spend more than that.

September 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM #11792

Christina
    Author

I try to limit what I spend by putting things I want to buy off for a few weeks, and if I still want to buy them later then I will. If I don’t want want it a month later, then it’s a definite no-buy.

October 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM #11961

Miriam Riad
    Author

I usually like to split meals with people when I’m eating out, because they’re so big anyway. Buying regular coffee is cheaper than a fancy latte. I walk instead of pay for public transportation.

October 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM #12087

I won’t go out to eat much when I am trying to save money. I also will separate money in my bank so there is less connected to my debit card.

October 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM #12255

Miriam Riad
    Author

Also, setting a budget can drastically help save money. When you don’t have long term goals, its easy to blow off whatever you have. But when you’ve mapped out priorities and needs clearly, it’ll be in the back of your mind when you have to spend, so you’ll most likely make a more frugal decision. Using mint.com (website/app) is a great way to organize a budget; it breaks everything down into a bunch of categories.

October 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM #12273

Andrea
    Subscriber

I have set a budget through my online banking for myself so I track what I spend and save at the same time.

November 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM #12355

Piggy banks are useful.
    Balance books are useful.
    Setting up a weekly, bi-weekly, tri-weekly, or monthly spending limit after noting down all your expenses before spending leisurely will assist in money management.

-Kevin Dufresne

December 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM #12980

Saving money has always been a struggle for myself. I usually try the envelope trick where I put money in an envelope and store it until I need it or keep it away until I have reached my goal!

January 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM #13715

Nick Bridges
    Author

I signed up with pea pod recently which has helped a lot. I also set up a savings account to go with my checking account. I still think I could save a little more money easily here and there if I really want to.

January 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM #13970

I do not go out to eat so often. Having a bank account helps a lot in keeping track of the money you have and how much you are spending. The most important is self control. Try to save 20% to 50% from your paycheck and just try to budget with the money left on the checking account and do not touch the savings account unless it’s an emergency.

January 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM #14065

I compulsively keep my change and save it up until my change jar is full. I’ve also gotten really good at asking myself before buying something: “Would I rather put this money towards this random item, or toward my student loan?” I almost always realize that my money would be better spent elsewhere, which deters me from careless spending.

January 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM #15576

Kim Mahan
    Author

I save all of my change and avoid eating out when ever possible. However, when I do find myself stopping at a drive through I try to pay with exact change with the change I have been saving. This way I won’t be using an extra dollar every time I purchase something. Eventually, using the small change will add up and save me money in the long run. Other than that, I try to keep most of my money tucked away in my savings account. I won’t touch it unless it is absolutely necessary so that I can eventually put it towards those dreaded student loans.

January 31, 2014 at 7:17 PM #16022

Maura
    Author

I make a budget and stick to it. Plus, I do all my shopping at Walmart. It saves me a ton.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.