There are some things you just HAVE to do before graduating college – like joining a club, going to a rager, and pulling an all nighter with your friends. I’ve found that there are some awesome things at Assumption that you might want to checkout before you walk across that stage in May:
1. Leitrims: Even if you don’t go until senior year, you MUST make an appearance at Leits at least once. Leits is THE Assumption bar on Thursday nights, and even if it isn’t the most luxurious bar in Worcester you’re definitely guaranteed to see all your friends there. Leits is definitely a dive bar, but you’re always guaranteed to have a great time.
2. Midnight Madness: This event is to kick off the basketball season and to get the school excited about it. It’s just something you have to experience at least one time – they throw out free t-shirts, the dance team performs, and the men and women’s basketball teams are announced with their own song and introduction. Oh, and the school mascot makes an appearance which is always fun! Each class wears different colored shirts and is put into their own section so it’s always fun to go and show your spirit, especially if you’re a senior!
3. Pup Cup: This is THE best weekend of the entire semester. Pup Cup is the weekend before finals where the freshman and sophomore class compete against each other in activities during the whole weekend. What really goes down is that the entire school goes on a booze binge from Friday to Sunday. There is a huge cookout/carnival and if the weather permits it’s an awesome time. This is definitely the wrong weekend to pack a suitcase and head home.
4. Pic with the Greyhound: Assumption obviously has a statue of a greyhound because why not? It’s a common tradition for students to drunkenly stumble to the statue on a weekend night and take a few pictures. Campus police isn’t fond of this little tradition, but it’s just something you have to do before you graduate.
5. Rosie’s Omelettes: If you have a meal plan that allows you to eat at Taylor dining hall, it pays off to wake up extra early and get an omelette from Rosie. The breakfast at Taylor is mediocre unless they have bacon or french toast sticks, so the only way you can guarantee to have an awesome breakfast is if get an omelette from Rosie. If someone else is there making omelettes wait for Rosie – she’s the best!
6. Spring Ball: This is a can’t miss event that’s so fun especially if you’re 21! They usually pick an awesome venue that serves drinks and has a huge hall. Dinner is served and it’s kind of like a prom but so much better because it’s college and not high school. Everyone usually gets pretty dressed up so it’s fun to buy a dress and go all out for this event!
7. Duck Day: It may seem a bit odd, but Assumption takes its Duck Day VERY seriously. Basically, they literally roll out a red carpet sometime in April and bring the ducks back to the pond in front of the school. Yes, I said that right, a RED CARPET. It’s probably the cutest thing in the world because local elementary schools come with all of the kids to watch and the ducks actually walk down the carpet and into the pond. If you can, go to Duck Day.
8. Senior Week: Well, this only applies to seniors but if you are a senior you cannot miss out on this. They plan an entire week for the seniors after their classes are done but before they graduate. There is something fun planned everyday like Foxwoods, or Six Flags. It’s just an awesome time to bond with all of your fellow seniors before you all head out into the real world!
9. Wings over Worcester: This place serves the best wings in Worcester hands down. It’s open until 2 am so it’s a great late night food place. They have tons of different flavors of wings and the best waffle fries. Don’t hesitate to order from here when you come home from a night of drinking!
10. Get a Free T-Shirt: Your time at Assumption will offer MANY opportunities for you to receive a free t-shirt, so there is no excuse not to get one! You may have to sacrifice an email or be one of the first 100 in a line for something, but it’s a free t-shirt!