Syracuse University is an amazing school and choosing to become a student here was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. When I was getting ready to arrive my freshman year, I was badgered with tips and advice about SU and college in general. While I got some really useful insights, there were a few things that I learned on my own that made my time at Syracuse flow a little smoother.
- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: get your computer programmed to print wirelessly everywhere on campus! I cannot stress how helpful this can be and SU has printers in the most random spots. Plus, they’ll even program your computer for you! You just bring it up to a tech desk around campus, tell them what you want, and it’s done in under ten minutes.
- Get friendly with your advisor! I have heard many people complain about their advisors at SU. But I think many students assume their advisors will be like they were in high school: useless unless they are holding your hand and walking you through something. This is so untrue! Your advisor can be incredibly useful but you have to put in some effort as well. Go to meetings with a plan, be prepared for them, and have questions ready.
- Use career services! I’ll admit, I haven’t always had the best experiences with their one on one meetings. Yet, the workshops and lectures that they frequently hold are incredibly informative. I know no one wants to hang out at a resume building or how to interview workshop on a Saturday morning. But even though they seem boring and unhelpful, they are the total opposite. After a friend freshman year dragged me to one at 9am on a Saturday, I’ve made an effort to go to at least one a semester. So worth it!
- Take advantage on the sun! This sounds odd but at SU there are only a few short windows of good weather. Soak up as much vitamin D as you can, while you can. If it can be done outside, do it. If it can’t, than it can probably wait awhile.
- Explore! It’s scary easy to go to school at SU and never leave campus unless to go to the mall or to eat. Yet, Syracuse is a lot more than just an awesome university: it’s also a really fun city! There is a ton of fun stuff to do off campus and even outside the city. Upstate NY has a lot to offer, you just have to get out there and experience it.
- Try new things! Once again, it’s scary easy to get to SU and do nothing but hang out with the same people, play the same sports, go to class, and party. But college is one of the only times in your life were new experiences are literally put in front of you! One of the best and most terrifying things I have done at school was go on a week long Grand Canyon hiking trip and it was utterly amazing. Sign up for new sports or clubs, go on trips and adventures, always be making tons of new friends, and get out of your comfort zone.