The Don’ts of College
College is a new experience for many. For a lot, it is the first time being on your own and having the freedom of being able to do what you want without your parents telling you that you can’t do something. However, this new found freedom comes with responsibilities. As a college student, there are a few things that you should NEVER do.
1. Never be afraid to try something new: When you first get to college, you may be very shy and scared about making new friends and about the new environment in general. It’s okay to feel this way because it is scary, but it is important to remember to try new things, go outside of your comfort zone and get involved. You will make new friends, meet new people, get to know the school, and the area. Do not be the person who sits in their room and doesn’t get involved. It will be miserable and you won’t have any fun in college.
2. Don’t study all the time: I know this may sound really weird, but it is important to have fun along with studying. However, I’m not saying party all the time either. You need to find a balance between the two. Don’t be a workaholic, but don’t be a partier either. You need to make sure you get your work done, but to also enjoy the party experience of college.
3. Never get addicted to something: It is easy to get addicted to something in college. College students are constantly stressed and this may lead to trying something that isn’t healthy for you. There are a lot of people who get addicted to dipping, smoking, drinking, and the most common one which is caffeine. I understand that college students need caffeine but it shouldn’t be an unhealthy addiction.
4. Never stop working out: Once you get into your daily routine it is hard to make sure you are working out. It is extremely important to keep up with this because it releases stress and keeps you in shape. It is also a way to avoid the freshman 15.
5. Never be afraid to ask someone a question or to hang out: You never know the answer to a question until you ask, and the worst they can say is no. This regards both teachers and possible dates and friends. You should never be afraid to ask your teacher a question, especially if you don’t understand something. Additionally, you should not be afraid to ask that guy or girl sitting in your class to grab coffee or see a movie. You never know if that person may be the one or not. Don’t be afraid to take the plunge.
Overall, college is a time to experience life. It’s a time to meet new friends, try new things, and create or maintain good habits. College is a stepping stone to bigger and better things in your life, but it is still a chapter of your book that needs to be written and I hope it will have some of the best memories of your life.